Welcome to our complete guide to online poker! We’re covering absolutely everything that you need to know about playing this game from the basics right up to the more complex topics. Stick with us to become an expert!
Best Online Poker Sites UK
If you want to take our tips and start playing, then these are our top online poker sites UK for you to have a go on:
You can play your favourite mobile casino games at mFortune – including unique slots, blackjack, roulette & more! Play for free and keep your winnings! more ›Visit website for full T&C's.
Go on an epic adventure with Captain Rizk & experience a mobile casino like no other. To get you started, your 1st deposit is doubled! There are loads more bonuses to look forward to! more ›Visit website for full T&C's.
Enjoy 600 casino games from the leading gaming studios in the business with a welcome package worth £600 + 200 free spins! more ›Visit website for full T&C's.
As with any advertised offer, it’s a great idea to check the terms and conditions first.
What Bonuses Are Available On Online Poker Sites?
When you play on poker sites, you can expect to play with the following bonuses, as they’re pretty common:
- No Deposit Bonuses – We love these bonuses as they allow us to play poker without any need for commitment. You will need to share your payment details to get them in most cases, though no cash will be taken from your account.
- Deposit Bonuses – These are au fait across the entire casino market, so you can also expect them on poker sites. Just watch out for games that you can’t use bonus funds for, some live casino games are cash only for example.
- Free Hands and Bets – For sites that specialise in poker, it’s common to get a free hand or bet. These can be entirely free or they could be a ‘no lose offer’ this basically means that if your bet is unsuccessful then you will be credited with the value in bonus funds instead.
Which Poker Games And Variants Are Available On These Sites?
Poker is a really popular game and as such there are many variants. Each will change the game slightly and your chance of winning. Some of the most popular variants are:
- Texas Hold Em
- 7 Card Stud
- 5 Card Draw
- Video Poker
These are all really straightforward and offer a twist on the classic game. Within each game, you will be able to find the return to player percentage (RTP) which will tell you exactly how often you can expect to win. It’s important to remember that some of these gameplay changes will require you to change the strategy that you’re using to be effective.
There are new poker variants being invented on a regular basis, the best sites will keep their poker offerings right up to date. They can include side bets or new features that make the game more rewarding. It’s up to you if you’d like to play on new games or stick to the classics, we’d suggest going for the latter at first and then building your way up to the more complex games.
Is It Possible To Play Just For Fun, With No Real Money?
Most sites will offer you the chance to play games in a demo mode, without spending any money. This can be really helpful if you’re trying a new variant or if you’re just not confident with your online poker strategy just yet. The exception to this is live dealer games, as these don’t generally allow you to play for free.
You can also look out for free bonuses and hands, which you can use to play for free but can actually win real money on. If you’re playing in a demo mode then this won’t be an option.
Online Poker Strategy
While you’re playing poker, you want to win more often, using these top online poker tips you can do just that:
- Start with Lower Stakes – Before you go all in on high stakes games, test out the lower stakes tables. This allows you to play, build up a cushion of winnings and test your strategy before you go ahead and splash your cash. Poker is a game of skill and practice makes perfect, although beginners luck exists, being prepared is much more likely to grant you a win.
- Don’t Get Distracted – Although you have the option to play on the go and on mobile, you should always make sure that you have a calm gaming environment for poker. This is a game that requires skill, so make sure that you can give it your full attention. You don’t want to end up making silly mistakes that cost you real money.
- Keep Track of your Stats – Make sure you’re keeping a track of your wins and losses on games. Then, you can assess which ones work for you and which ones don’t. With poker, it’s all about identifying winning strategies and having this data at the ready makes that a lot easier.
- Read Strategy Guides – In depth strategy guides can help you hone your skills and become a much better poker player. Many games have an instructional guide as well as basic strategy suggestions. Open these up and read before you play for a better success rate.
- Play Responsibly – The best way to enjoy playing online is to make sure that you’re doing so responsibly. Just be aware of what you’re spending, how you feel about the game and whether you may need a break. While poker can be fun, you don’t want to let it overtake your life or use too much of your money.
Are My Personal Details Safe When Playing Online Poker?
When you consider playing poker online, you might feel a bit put off by the security aspect. As long as you’re playing on a safe site then your details won’t be going anywhere. Security on these sites is very strict, as they know their players are eager to play but want that extra reassurance.
The vast majority of sites out there are safe, as the Gambling Commission are very quick to remove illegal sites. There aren’t many scam sites out there but you should still take steps to protect yourself where possible.
Deposit and Withdrawal Methods
If you want to take an additional step to keep your details safe then you can choose to use the following safe payment methods:
- PayPal – One of the largest alternate payment providers, PayPal is an eWallet service that makes it easy for players to deposit and withdraw. You don’t share your details with the site and there’s inbuilt fraud protection.
- Paysafecard – Keep yourself even safer by taking your payment methods off the grid. Just buy one of these vouchers in a shop then redeem it online and you won’t need to share any details. Note that it can’t be used for withdrawals though.
- Skrill – Similar to PayPal but accepted on even more sites, this eWallet makes things simple. Use the One Tap App to make payments with the touch of a button.
Is Poker Legal In The UK? What Are The Poker Laws In The UK?
It’s perfectly safe and legal for you to play poker within the UK. There are some laws determining who can play (over 18s) and responsible gambling legislation too. As long as you’re aware of these then there aren’t many other laws that you need to be aware of.
How Can You Tell If A Site Is Licensed?
All sites offering real money gambling in the UK must have a valid licence. These are distributed by the UK Gambling Commission and they should be displayed on the homepage of a site. You can click through on these banners to go to the Gambling Commission and double check the licence if you want to be extra safe.
If you’ve been burned by a scam site then make sure you report it! Complaining to the commission will kick off an investigation and you might just save other players from falling into the same trap.
What Are The Taxation Policies For UK Poker?
If you win big on a game of poker then the good news is that you won’t need to pay tax on your winnings. Sites pay a point of consumption and bonus tax on behalf of their players, so if you win this aspect is already taken care of. The onus is entirely on a site to make sure that this tax is paid.
It seems like just about every game is more convenient to play on mobile and the same goes for poker. As long as you’re careful that you don’t get too distracted then this is a great way to play.
Are There Any Devices That Are Better Suited For Playing Poker On The Go?
Poker and casino games in general don’t take up a lot of processing power, so you really don’t need a high powered device to game. That being said, if you want a better experience then you may want to use a more modern device. Top of the line Android and iOS devices will allow you to get online faster as their hardware is a lot more capable than some of the lower end devices.
Screen resolution can factor into the equation, if you want to play in style then you might want to play with a device that has an HD screen. This is a good option for players that enjoy great and immersive gaming experiences. This could be a tablet or a smartphone.
Older devices may not be totally up for all poker games though, as some rely on Flash to function. This is not compatible with every phone, especially the older ones, so you may be disappointed if you’re using a really old one.
In this regard, we’d say that any modern device that you have will be suitable for poker, so there’s no real need to splash out.
Is It Better To Play On Apps Or On Web-Based Poker Games?
These are the two main options for mobile poker players and there are pros to each. Check out the following lists to see which one would suit you:
- May allow you to play a wider range of games on the go.
- You can access it with just one tap and your logins can even be saved.
- They’re specifically designed for your device so they can work a lot better.
- You can save all your payment methods and deposit quickly.
- You’ll know that all games in the app are compatible.
- You don’t need to download a bunch of software to your device.
- Can be useful if there’s no app available for the site.
- You don’t need to wait around for the initial download or any updates to install.
- Can be more secure if your device is lost or stolen, as you won’t be logged into your account at all times.
It’s entirely up to you which way you opt to play, just make sure that you properly vet any site or app that you want to use. Steer clear of sites offering sure wins or guaranteed money, as these will most likely be scams. If you see these apps, then report them to have them removed for good.
Poker is one of our favourite games of skill, as there’s just so much fun to be had when you play it. With variants and bonuses, you will get to experience the best that the casino world has to offer. Try it out on one of the sites that are our recommendations for a fun experience and use our tips for big wins!
Further Reading for Better Poker Knowledge